Naive Art? Outsider Art, Primitive Art? Folk Art? Modern Folk Art?
What category or genre best describes my paintings? I've never been one who likes to follow the rules and I don't like to be pigeonholed, but if I had to pick one from the above I would say it's Naive Art some would call it Folk Art.
According to the Gina Gallery a gallery dedicated to Naive Art from artists worldwide they describe Naive art as using bright colors, a child-like perspective and in an idiosyncratic scale, portraying a simple yet understandable and idealized scenes of everyday life.
The gallery goes on to describe the naive artist as an often self-taught painter, depicting a unique and literal, yet extremely personal and coherent, vision of what the world was, is or should be in the eyes of the Artist with painstaking detail.
The following is courtesy of an article from the Artists Network.
• Fine art uses aesthetics and detail to BEAUTIFY reality.
• Abstract art uses shapes and colors to DISTORT reality.
• Expressionism uses emotion to FANTASIZE reality.
• Folk art uses patterns and colors to DECORATE reality.
• Contemporary art takes a known theme and makes the reality CURRENT.
• Naïve art uses childlike innocence to LIGHTEN reality.
You should take a peek at my post on my favorite Folk Artist.
Thanks for visiting
Back to Home Page here.
Sign up for my newsletter for free stuff and subscriber only discounts here
This post is to share my creative thought process and opinion based on my knowledge and experience as an Artist I am not speaking for all Artists', each artist has their own creative methods, knowledge and opinion.